About Us

My photo
At The Happy Starfish we are dedicated to providing a wealth of information, products, workshops and articles all aimed at celebrating health, happiness and peaceful living. We believe that life should be an awesome adventure filled with love; love life and life will love you back. Are you willing to surrender what you think you are for what you could become? Are you ready?

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Your prescription is a CD





“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” Albert Einstein



I wrote a post a few months back called What's your prozac playlist? after Neuroscientist Dr Jack Lewis came up with the ultimate feel good playlist, using music to help combat depression.

I am a huge music lover and was pleased that the University of Alberta have conducted further studies into the link between music and the brain in terms of pain relief. Children were split into two groups and all needed an IV. One group had music playing when the procedure took place and the other didn't.

The children's distress, perceived pain levels and heart rates were recorded and it's no surprise to learn that the group who had music playing felt less pain and had a quicker recovery period. In addition the healthcare provider who administered the IV's stated this groups were easier to treat.

Being a chronic pain sufferer myself and a believer in all things natural I hope such research on the effect of music on the brain continues. With more and more people turning their back on orthodox medicine it's great to learn about alternative methods of treatment.

This is my one song that never fails to give me a lift, what's yours?

ELO - Mr Blue Sky






No comments:

Post a Comment