About Us

My photo
At The Happy Starfish we are dedicated to providing a wealth of information, products, workshops and articles all aimed at celebrating health, happiness and peaceful living. We believe that life should be an awesome adventure filled with love; love life and life will love you back. Are you willing to surrender what you think you are for what you could become? Are you ready?

Sunday 28 July 2013

Yonana (what's my name)?


“A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.” Aesop 

I will hold my hands up and admit I am a nutritional therapist with a sweet tooth. I may know all about the ultimate diet but that doesn’t stop me wanting the odd slice of cake. Dining out on special occasions I always check out the dessert options on the menu before selecting my main course.

I was more than just a little bit excited therefore when I heard about the Yonanas machine, a contraption that claimed to turn frozen fruit into soft serve ice-cream in minutes. 

Having some Amazon vouchers I decided the chance of fat free, guilt free, nutrient packed desserts too tempting to resist and before I knew it I had clicked to purchase and it was on its way.

So are they as good as they claim? Yes. Simply freeze the fruit of your choice, remove from the freezer 5 minutes or so before you use and insert into the machines chute pushing down with a plunger. 

To produce an ice cream consistency you need a banana base which you can either eat as it comes for a pudding packed full of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper, and even protein. Add in other fruits and nuts like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, peanuts and almonds you add more nutrition including vitamin K, magnesium, folate, calcium, manganese, and dietary fibre, and loads of antioxidants, making Yonanas one of the healthiest desserts around.

I have experimented every night with various fruits (omitting the bananas produces a sorbet)  We had great fun the other evening with friends over customising our own and adding a variety of other ingredients such as mint chocolate, frozen expresso cubes and cookies.

All in all I am really happy with my purchase. The children have been having one every day in the hot weather not noticing the difference between the Yonanas and ice cream. Although I still monitor their sugar intake (even natural sugars contained in fruit) I don’t have to consider all the nasties you find in a tub of store bought ice cream.

Easy to use, economical (you don’t need huge amounts of fruit) and quick to clean, this is one gadget that won’t be gathering dust in the back of the cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment