About Us

My photo
At The Happy Starfish we are dedicated to providing a wealth of information, products, workshops and articles all aimed at celebrating health, happiness and peaceful living. We believe that life should be an awesome adventure filled with love; love life and life will love you back. Are you willing to surrender what you think you are for what you could become? Are you ready?

Friday 25 January 2013

What's your 'prozac playlist'?



“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”.
Bob Marley

I have always loved music, indeed I wrote an article a while back explaining why I incorporate sound healing into my practice, (http://www.thehappystarfish.com/health002.html). 

 I enjoy nothing more than curling up and listening to songs that transport me off to another place. As an artist, it must be phenomenal to be able to touch people with lyrics and melodies. To provoke such deep emotion that you can gently guide people through their best and worst times offering joy, comfort and understanding amazingly all through a cd.

I adore tunes that evoke happy memories, in a flash I can be experiencing the same feelings I felt when I was on holiday or with my family, just by selecting a track associated with that time.

Neuroscientist, Dr Jack Lewis has recently conducted research into why particular songs make us happy for an online streaming site, finding high pitched voices are best at boosting our mood.  He looked for music that stimulates the limbic and reward systems - areas of the brain responsible for generating emotions and sensations of pleasure, and looked for songs that invigorate both these areas.

Dr Lewis came up with the ultimate feel good playlist (below) for a natural high.

THE 'PROZAC PLAYLIST'
·         Prince - Sexy Dancer
·         BB King - Let The Good Times Roll
·         Beachboys - Surfing USA
·         Curtis Mayfield - Victory -
·         Norman Jay remix
·         Bob Marley - Three Little Birds
·         Muddy Waters - Got My Mojo Working
·         Boney M - Sunny
·         The Darkness - I Believe In a Thing called Love
·         Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama
·         Outkast - Hey Ya
·         Future heads - Acapella
·         Harder Better Faster - Daft Punk
·         M People - Moving on Up
·         Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture

I am going to be going through my cd’s later to make up my own playlist of songs that I know always put a smile on my face.

We all have at least one song that has a positive effect on us. ELO Mr Blue Skies is mine, what’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment